Palm Springs
86° F
Clear
Clear

2 alarm blaze leaves 4 people homeless

By Rich Tarpening, Assignment Manager, Rich.Tarpening@kesq.com
Published On: Jan 28 2014 07:28:28 PM CST
Updated On: Jan 28 2014 10:33:50 PM CST
Palm Desert Fire

Viewer submitted photo of house fire on Grapevine Street in Palm Desert

PALM DESERT, Calif. -

Cal fire was mopping up after an early evening fire broke out at a home in Palm Desert just after 5:00 p.m. Tuesday.

Cal Fire says when crews arrived on scene they saw smoke coming from a home on the 72-900 block of Grapevine Street.  The heavy smoke was coming from the attic area of the home.  Crews were able to put out the blaze around 5:45 p.m. 

A family of four lives at the home, and the homeowner says that he believes the cause of the fire is an outdoor grill he left on outside the home.   The family plans to stay with relatives overnight. 

Cal Fire says officially they still do not know the cause, but believe that the origin of the fire may have been from the outside area and not the attic as first reported.